I'm just trying to catch the deluge in a paper cup...

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Looking Up

So, I'm a stinky sack of fail when it comes to blogging, as you may have noticed. It is not August, and I haven't blogged since April. Interestingly enough, it's not because there has been a lack of a bloggable events in my life...it's more because, as I previously stated, I'm a stinky sack of fail. Whatever that is.

Anyway, here's what I was thinking. My first (and God willing, last) semester at college was hellish. I mean really, really horrible. If I was the cursing type, I would definitely use a bunch of expletives right here to express my absolute distaste. But, I won't. College gave me esophagitis. Don't believe me? Ask the doctor who gave me my endoscopy YESTERDAY. But, whatever, that's not the point. I remember one night in Levelland, I was walking from the commercial music building back to my dorm, and I was looking down...I mean, perpetually looking down, like at the street. And maybe it was me, maybe it was God, maybe it was the dude who lived in the dorm next to me and liked to leave PILES of his soiled underwear in the bathroom, but something, someone...told me to look up. So I did. And I have never seen that many stars. It sounds like a pretty simple thing, looking up. But how often do you do it? I'm not suggesting that we should all walk around looking at the sky...that could be pretty risky. But, since then, I've tried pretty hard not to look at the ground when I'm walking. I try to keep my eyes focusing on faces and places. I'm not one of those hopelessly optimistic people, so I'm not telling you that looking up will improve your perspective on life, or make you happier, or get you some kind of natural high...but it's way better than looking at dirt a lot. Unless you're a soil scientist...in that case, please disregard this paragraph.

I've also successfully avoided college for at least another six months, which is exciting. Towards the end of September, I will be moving to New Orleans to do a DTS (Discipleship Training School) with YWAM (Youth With a Mission). I never would have even considered this possibility before the mission trip I took to New Orleans in June, which totally made me not want to be in Texas even more. That trip also made me question the current state of my life. I'm a pretty decent dude...I've never broken the law or whatever, but I don't think I've been living it totally right, you know? When I got back, I realized how totally unimportant most of our lives can be if we remain stagnant. So, for me, remaining stagnant is going to college, or having a steady job. For other people, remaining stagnant could be not going to college and not having a steady job. It's different for everyone, obviously.

So anyway, that's what's up with me. Just trying to look up and walk at the same time, and trying to appreciate the perfectness (is that a word?) of imperfections. Like Joni Mitchell said...

"I don't care 'bout spots on my apples, leave me the birds and the bees."

2 comments:

  1. Ben - I was walking the halls of good ol' Bovina High (all alone, mind you), when I realized I was looking down and didn't know why. I looked up, met people's eyes, took note of my surroundings... I get it. I've never been called chronically optimistic either, but there's something about looking up. It's more like finding some courage and some self (in a good way)... anyway, I get it. Thakns for writing.

    We're excited for you and YWAM. How/when/where can we put our money where our mouth is and send support? Shoot me an e-mail or post another blog with the details, k?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ben,
    1) thanks for writing. I hope you continue, whether here or elsewhere.
    2) excited about new orleans - steve and bronwen are good people.
    3) if/when you convert to a cursing person, I'd like to be there in that initial moment, please.

    ReplyDelete